#5 – My Run-In with the Mafia in Sicily

Shanti Pax launched a peace process. This is blog #5 of a 10-blog series called, “The Peace Process: Your 10 Most Powerful Actions for Lasting Peace.” These are the top 10 actions you can take to be AT PEACE during your day and ADD PEACE to the world.

Your 5th most powerful action is: Judge Not

I recently went to Palermo, Italy for work and while there had a run-in with the mafia. I tell this story of judgement and stereotyping in Shanti Pax’s first ever travel log. Check it out:

If you want to read more about overcoming stereotyping, click here to read a blog post on how I overcame American stereotypes.

What do you think? When do you find yourself most judging or stereotyping others? What do you do to get out of judgmental mode and into observations made? Post your comments below.

Take action now! I challenge you to develop or deepen your awareness of when you’re judging yourself and others, and begin to move towards observing.

If you liked this article…then sign up to Shanti Pax to receive inspirational stories of peace and other words of wisdom I only share in email.

I LOVE sharing these stories with you, and in return, I’d be grateful if you “liked” this post and shared it with a few friends.

Remember, it’s the little changes you make in your daily life that brings greater peace to the whole.

13 replies
  1. debknecht@nrctv.com
    debknecht@nrctv.com says:

Hi Allyson! Just listened and watch your post. So interesting! Being in the political world somewhat it is so easy to rush to judge and very easy to lump a culture of people in the same stereotype. I will be more aware of my judgements and take a step back and a deep breath and think positive! Thanks for the thought of the day! Oh and by the way…..I so loved the tour of Sicily. You can do more of that!! Perhaps when you are touring with your folks!!! 🙂 Have a good one!!!

• Allyson
      Allyson says:

Deb! Fabulous comment! You’re right – the political world can be SO judgmental, and it really needs dynamic leaders such as yourself. Thank you for being such an amazing community leader and Shanti Pax supporter.

2. Denise
    Denise says:

Wonderful post, Allyson! So many stereotypes that categorize us–I have been a victim (as a New Yorker, a woman, an Italian), and I’m sorry to say,I have also judged others. A lesson for all of us!

• Allyson
      Allyson says:

Hi Denise! Thanks for this! I know what you’re saying. (BTW, Italian woman from New York is about the best combination I can think of). The advice I give in this video I have to take myself – I still struggle with this all the time – especially where I work with people coming from over 30 countries.

• Allyson
      Allyson says:

Hi Lea! Thank you so much for sharing this with your students – that warms my heart. Please let me know what they think. If they are art/film students, I’d love to know how I can improve my amateur film making. I miss you, xoxo.

3. Amy S.
    Amy S. says:

Hey Allyson,

STUNNING video. The message really resonates with me, too. I’m trying to build a clothing brand based, in some way, on positive European stories and stereotypes. Invariably, friends approach me with shirt ideas — and often times they first go with the negative side of stereotypes / associations. It’s fun, though, to probe people about “who or what would you put on a shirt to celebrate your country.”

They always light up 🙂

Can’t wait to see more travel videos — keep it up!!

• Allyson
      Allyson says:

Amy! Thanks so much for the comment. Yes, of course, you’d have so much to say on this subject!! I LOVE your products (www.solamente55.com – check it out!). You’ve been able to take what makes Europe so singular and special and transform it into art. Keep up the inspiring work. I love the question! I would light up if someone asked me that! Thanks for the amazing support.

4. Sharon
    Sharon says:

You do have amazing video in your blogpost, Allyson. In that very video, you also captivate us with powerful words on how to avoid stereotypes. It is so easy to do without any thoughts about why. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

5. Jim
    Jim says:

It’s encouraging that the locals are starting to the resist the culture of extortion. Would that the same thing would happen in the big cities in the U.S. where the same organization is doing the same thing!

Great thoughts on re-wiring one’s thinking to avoid stereotyping.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!